Search archive
Browse the collectionsUp

Oral history with Mr. Balfour William Ruff

Object Type: Record
In Collection: Oral History Digital Collection


Oral history.; Mr. Balfour William Ruff Sr. was born March 31, 1923, in Jackson, Mississippi. He moved to Tupelo at a young age and attended its public schools. For many years he operated the Ruff Dairy Farm, the first in the Tupelo area to pasteurize and homogenize milk. After that, he farmed and ran a beef cattle operation. He was an active member of several area farm organizations. He was a member of the board of directors of the Federal Land Bank, and an original founder of the Town Creek Master Watershed. He was a founder and treasurer of the North Lee Rural Water Association. A land developer, he developed the neighborhood between Thomas Street and Lawndale Drive, and the Hillplace Development in Tupelo, Mississippi. He was a co-owner and founder of the Big Oaks Country Club golf course and residential development. He was a longtime member of St. Luke United Methodist Church in Tupelo and the Men's Breakfast Club. Mr. Ruff passed away on February 9, 2000.


Powered by Preservica
©2020 Preservica